Tuesday, February 17, 2009

does study hall count as a favorite class?

Really? Does study hall count as a favorite class - because it would easily be my favorite, hanging out with my friends, getting into trouble for talking to much, and writing notes in middle school and high school to pass to my boyfriend at the next bell.... Oh boy, that was certainly the life. 

But on a more serious note, my favorite subject in high school was my creative writing class. It was a time when my mind could wander and think of all of the crazy things I wanted to write about (within measures) and really enjoy putting the pencil to the paper. My teacher was a bit crazy, and definitely had the reputation of being a hard @$$, but I think creative writing let her mind and soul wander and also allowed her to rid herself of stress and focus on creative experiences. She would allow us to day dream and allow our eyes to wander to each other or to the large windows we had in class, because she believed it would help us with our writing - and I too believe it helped.

Torch was the name of our school newspaper, and not only was I involved because it was 7th period and a lot of the time we would skip out, when there wasn't an Issue to be written that week, but it was a time again were I could be creative with my mind and enjoy putting my pencil down to the paper and allow myself to write about something I felt passionate about.

Writing this blog has made me realize I have lost my passion for creative writing, I could blame it on the i.arc department for stealing my creativity for the projects we do within these four walls, or I could blame it on myself for not continuing to enjoy writing. Coming to college and being forced to write, or read books you don't enjoy, takes away bits of your creativity and your desire to focus your attention on those activities. It's harder to be creative and passionate about something when you are forced to do it, and within Torch and creative writing it was our option to engage in those classes and it was our creativity and passion which kept us going through out the semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment